The Classic Cat Eye Gets an Update
Go backstage at Christian Dior’s Resort 2015 collection.
While small gangs of Dior-clad male models roamed the Brooklyn Navy Yard, awaiting the start of the Christian Dior Resort 2015 show, makeup artist Peter Philips was backstage creating the women’s look for his first show as Dior’s creative and image director for makeup. Philips put his own twist on a Dior classic—the black cat eye—by adding a double-winged flick at the corners. “We used matte black shadow on top of liquid eyeliner to set the line, blend the edges, and give it a velvet effect,” said Philips. To help them stand out, Philips highlighted the black wings with touches of white shadow underneath and used a peachy pink shadow on the lids that nearly matched the light blush on the cheeks. The dark and dramatic beauty look, said Phillips, reflected the abundance of black in Raf Simons’ collection.
Almost as noteworthy as the eye makeup was the silky, airbrushed finish of the models’ skin, which came courtesy of Diorskin Star Foundation, due out in September. Thankfully, the black liquid liner Philips used—Dior It-Line Eye-Liner in It-Black—will be available sooner, in June. As for a full makeup collection bearing Philips’ creative stamp, we’ll have to wait for fall 2015.Follow Us:
- FashionOn the Streets of Milan, It's All Gucci, All the Time
- PartiesColby Jordan's Marriage to Alberto “Tico” Mugrabi Was the Art World Wedding of the Year
- FashionBella Hadid Is a Lady In Waiting in Haute Couture
- PeopleSerena Williams, Dakota Johnson, and Ciara Sit Front Row at Milan Fashion Week
- CultureThe Elgorts in Africa: Exclusive Images From Sophie, Ansel and Arthur's Breathtaking Safari