Culture » Secret Address
New York’s new lounge Beautique is a luxurious throwback.
While well-known yet hidden venues are virtually on top of one another in lower Manhattan (see PDT, Death & Co. and Back Room, for example), New York’s uptown crowd is typically less discreet. But Beautique, a new lounge located across the street from the Plaza hotel, is getting into the covert spirit—to access the subterranean boite, guests must first walk through the dining room of the restaurant of the same name, helmed by Craig Hopson, the former executive chef from Le Cirque. Smoky mirrors, gold silk wallpaper, and Jean Paul Gaultier-designed velvet benches line the hallways of the disco-chic space, which has already hosted after parties for the premieres of Yves Saint Laurent and The Immigrant and a dinner celebrating Bethann Hardison’s CFDA Founder’s Award. The bar excels at classic drinks with unexpected ingredients, like a golden French 75 doused with Remy 1738 and a blackberry-based whiskey smash that comes to the table in a demure lowball. Towers of oysters and small bites echo the luxe décor. Opened last week by a team that includes Frank Roberts, the former manager of Rose Bar, and Charlotte Voisey, a James Beard-nominated mixologist, the alluring retreat lives up to its glittering address.
Beautique, 5 West 58th Street, New York, 212 982 8300.Follow Us:
Follow us on Facebook
- PeopleWhen It Girls Simi and Haze Khadra Graduate
- BeautyWonder Woman Actress Lynda Carter Is a Sunscreen Advocate, Jazz Singer, and Hillary Clinton Fan
- Art & DesignStrange Fruit: Is Stephanie Sarley the Betty Tompkins of Instagram?
- CelebritiesScreen Tests - Cara Delevingne on "Suicide Squad," Justin Timberlake, and Her Childhood Obsession With Death
- BeautyHow to Get in Head-to-Toe Wedding Shape in Just 10 Days. Seriously.