Begin Again: Behind the Scenes
Jamming with Keira Knightley and Mark Ruffalo on John Carney’s new musical film.
Dan (Mark Ruffalo), a former prince of the record industry, stumbles around New York, addled by booze and mad with self-pity. Blindly pushing his way into a random bar, he happens upon a young singer-songwriter named Gretta (Keira Knightley), who is giving a vulnerable but promising performance at an open mic. So begins Begin Again, the Irish filmmaker John Carney’s stirring Cinderella tale of Dan and Gretta’s simultaneous resurrection, musical and otherwise, as she records her debut album on the most artfully bohemian streets, alleyways, and rooftops in Manhattan. “I’m not a saccharine person,” Carney says. “But I do have a glass-half-full philosophy of life.”
In other hands, Gretta’s rock star ex, Dave (played by Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine), might have been merely a one-dimensional villain. But in Carney’s well-developed script, Dave, who dumped Gretta the minute he hit it big, takes pains to make good on his mistakes. “There’s a little bit of myself in all the roles,” says Carney, who learned firsthand about the pitfalls of fast fame after his low-budget 2006 film, Once, became an indie smash (and a Tony-winning Broadway adaptation). “Any success you have is a test of character.”Follow Us:
Follow us on Facebook
- PeopleWhen It Girls Simi and Haze Khadra Graduate
- BeautyWonder Woman Actress Lynda Carter Is a Sunscreen Advocate, Jazz Singer, and Hillary Clinton Fan
- Art & DesignStrange Fruit: Is Stephanie Sarley the Betty Tompkins of Instagram?
- BeautyHow to Get in Head-to-Toe Wedding Shape in Just 10 Days. Seriously.
- CelebritiesScreen Tests - Cara Delevingne on "Suicide Squad," Justin Timberlake, and Her Childhood Obsession With Death