How to Dress For a Helicopter Ride
According to accessories designer Tamara Mellon.
Tamara Mellon, the former chief creative officer of Jimmy Choo and current designer of an eponymous label, has recently taken her high-class aesthetic to new heights with Blade, a helicopter app that gets you from Manhattan to the Hamptons in 35 hot minutes. The jetset designer, who has spent most of the summer bouncing around Southern Italy (“It was sublime,” she says), even designed Blade’s uniforms. Here, Mellon opens up about her process, travel essentials, and the best way to vacation.
What were some of the inspirations behind your Blade uniforms?
When Blade founder Rob Wiesenthal and I were discussing the vision for the uniform, we wanted to bring back the spirit of stylish air travel in the ‘50s and ‘60s. I wanted to create a modern version of a flight uniform that a woman could also wear out to dinner.
What’s your go-to travel uniform?
It depends on where I am going. On my most recent flight I wore a pair of Tamara Mellon Gladiator sandals, and a pair of shorts with my Cold-Shoulder sweater.
What’s always in your travel bag?
Disinfectant wipes, iPad, and an eye mask
Soho House Istanbul.
What’s the one thing you would never do on vacation:
I would never do a cleanse!Follow Us:
Follow us on Facebook
- CultureHow Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid Became Humanoid Creatures for W
- CultureWho's Who: Meet All the Beautiful People of Seoul Fashion Week
- PeopleHow Lourdes Leon, Madonna's 20-Year-Old Daughter, Went from Wearing Juicy Couture to Alexander Wang
- CultureTake a Peek at New York's Most Eligible Nudes
- CelebritiesW Magazine Fashion Films - Kendall Jenner, Performance Artist, Channels Icons Like Marina Abramovic and Yoko Ono