Borrowed From the Boys
What can women's wear gain from Men's Fashion Week?
In an age where gender is fluid and fashion is increasingly unisex, there’s no reason why women can’t do their Spring 2016 shopping from the New York Fashion Week: Men’s runways. Here, 5 tips for taking it from the boys.
Find Your Uniform
Thom Browne kicked of fashion week with a lineup of nearly identical gray suits, which multiplied infinitely in a floor-to-ceiling mirrored cube. If you’re going to wear the same thing every day, your look should be tailored to perfection, or have the signature cool of Public School.
Lighten and Loosen Up
Duckie Brown and Tim Coppens’s loose fitting, drawstring pants proved that a little tailoring and the right fabric can make even sweats or scrub-like silhouette look elegant. Also, invest in a mesh t-shirt.
Billy Reid’s collection was equally lightweight, but it wasn’t just his attention to material that made the collection standout—a neutral color palate was a breath of fresh air for the Southern designer. “This is the first time in many shows that we’re showing any black. It was like we were scared to show it,” he admitted backstage. “Why should you get hammered for selling neutrals? They look great on people and they sell well. We infused color where it was needed, not just for the sake of putting color.”
Whether you’re a Thaddeus O’Neil vampire bro, or an apron-wearing Engineered Garments guy, wear it loud and proud. The right people will notice, which in this case is probably a street style photographer.
Socks Are Important
It seems obvious, but socks can make or break a look. Robert Geller’s half-socks with sandals, for example, gave his collection a new, modern edge. Ladies, take note.Follow Us:
Follow us on Facebook
- FashionAdriana Lima Has Walked in a Record 16 Victoria's Secret Fashion Shows, and Is "Still Going Strong"
- FashionSee All the Looks from the 2016 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show
- PeopleMadonna Gave Art Basel the Debauched, Celebrity-Drenched Party Miami's High Rollers Deserved
- CultureInside Hood By Air's Epic Miami Pool Party, Art Basel 2016's Most Transgressive Show
- PartiesAt the 2016 Victoria's Secret After Party, It Was All About the Naked Dress