Katie Gallagher Loves Bodysuits and Vintage Kimonos
The fashion designers shares a page from her style notes.
New York fashion designer Katie Gallagher is known for her dark, conceptual designs—think downtown-cool capes, diaphanous layers, and lots of black—and for being her line’s best ambassador. In anticipation of her Spring 2016 show during New York Fashion Week, we asked the designer to give us a break down of her personal style.
Define your style in three words:
Monochromatic, polished and refined.
Currently a black romper with a Katie Gallagher bodysuit underneath and a black vintage kimono on top. When I’m designing or taking work meetings, I like to keep my daytime ensembles simple.
Vintage Pink House bomber, vintage Tokio Kumagai top with mesh sleeves and a vintage Guy Laroche blazer with golden buttons.
Anything that elevates me at least 3 inches.
Vintage Gucci cross-body bag from the 1970’s, onyx silver rings on every finger.
A Katie Gallagher black or red slip dress and red lips.
Style pet peeve:
Women who can’t walk in their heels, men who leave their button-up shirts untucked or wrinkled.
Rose McDowall in the 1980’s.
A few glasses of Sauvignon Blanc at Galli in the Lower East Side.
Luxurious cashmere capes and dresses for Fall. (And an Alaia corset belt.)
Super wide-brim beaver fur hats, candy corn and cats.
What’s always in your bag:
I love to keep my bag contents on the minimal side. The less I have to carry, the better. There are only 4 things in my bag if I can help it: my Comme des Garçons wallet, red lipstick, keys to my apartment and a little antique pill case from my sister.Follow Us:
Follow us on Facebook
- FashionAdriana Lima Has Walked in a Record 16 Victoria's Secret Fashion Shows, and Is "Still Going Strong"
- FashionSee All the Looks from the 2016 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show
- PeopleMadonna Gave Art Basel the Debauched, Celebrity-Drenched Party Miami's High Rollers Deserved
- CultureInside Hood By Air's Epic Miami Pool Party, Art Basel 2016's Most Transgressive Show
- PartiesAt the 2016 Victoria's Secret After Party, It Was All About the Naked Dress