Nomia’s Yara Flinn Is a Total Tomboy
The cool, minimalist fashion designer shares her obsessions.
Since launching her label, Nomia, in 2009, New York-based designer Yara Flinn’s effortlessly sophisticated pieces have garnered a cult following that stretches from the US to Japan and Australia. In between showing her spring line at New York Fashion Week and heading to Paris, Flinn took a moment to dish on her personal style.
Define your style in three words:
Minimal, utilitarian, urban.
NOMIA mock neck muscle tee in black, very worn men’s APC jeans, and black ankle boots or high-top sneakers
Vintage bomber, oversize tunic in white cotton, and pleated skirts—especially worn with an oversize sweatshirt and ankle boots.
Nikes, Converse, or a stacked heel ankle boot. (I can’t stop acquiring black ankle boots of all types.)
Since my style is so minimal and tomboyish, I like artistic statement jewelry like a choker by Faux / Real, hand pendant by Openhouse Projects, or silver disc earrings by Faris.
I always prefer the balance of masculine and feminine, so I might wear a pleated satin skirt with ankle boots and an oversized top or parka.
Best recent discovery:
Musk Incense by Morning Star. Also, lots and lots of plants.
Totokaelo, Maryam Nassir Zadeh, Printed Matter, Dashwood.
Style pet peeve:
Not looking comfortable in what you’re wearing.
Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy, Sade
A giant suitcase to take my collection to Paris. Super practical!
A vacation (see below!), and vintage colorful Prada nylon bags.
Dream vacation destination:
Japan, especially the Naoshima Museum designed by Tadao Ando.
The Balcony at the Met for a martini and classical music on a Friday or Saturday evening.
What’s always in your bag:
Hair ties and too many receipts!Follow Us:
Follow us on Facebook
- FashionSee All the Looks from the 2016 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show
- FashionAdriana Lima Has Walked in a Record 16 Victoria's Secret Fashion Shows, and Is "Still Going Strong"
- PeopleMadonna Gave Art Basel the Debauched, Celebrity-Drenched Party Miami's High Rollers Deserved
- CultureInside Hood By Air's Epic Miami Pool Party, Art Basel 2016's Most Transgressive Show
- PartiesAt the 2016 Victoria's Secret After Party, It Was All About the Naked Dress