Parties » Opening Night for the American Ballet Theatre
Opening Night for the American Ballet Theatre
Guests were not limited to socialites in ball gowns
What: The American Ballet Theatre Opening Night Fall Gala, sponsored by Clinique and Badgley Mischka.
Where: The David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center.
When: Wednesday, October 30th
Who: Sigourney Weaver, Julia Koch, Bebe Neuwirth, Taye Diggs, Jessica Stam, Thom Browne, Crystal Renn, Olympic soccer player Kelley O’Hara—in case it wasn’t apparent, the ballet is no longer the sole purview of socialites in ball gowns.
Why: The evening’s program included two world premieres: “Piece d’Occasion,” choreographed by ABT principal dancer Marcelo Gomes, who later performed the role of Prospero in Alexei Ratmansky’s highly anticipated “The Tempest.” Prospero and Miranda escaped their magical island, but those who stayed for dinner found themselves a captive audience. Bronson Van Wyck transformed the promenade into a dark and tempestuous playground with an 180-foot mural of the sea, floor-to-ceiling cyclones and audiovisual effects like fog and lightning.Follow Us:
Follow us on Facebook
- PeopleFrom Caroline Kennedy to Lindsay Lohan, the Best White House Correspondents Dinner Pictures Ever
- CultureMeet Tei Shi, the Indie Darling Adored by Grimes
- CelebritiesFrom Princess Diana to Kate Moss to Brad and Gwyneth in Love, Dave Benett Captured the ’90s
- Perfect 10Nostalgic for the ’90s? Go Grunge with These 10 Pairs of Boots
- FashionThe 25 Best Met Gala Dresses of All Time