Opening Night for the American Ballet Theatre
Guests were not limited to socialites in ball gowns
What: The American Ballet Theatre Opening Night Fall Gala, sponsored by Clinique and Badgley Mischka.
Where: The David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center.
When: Wednesday, October 30th
Who: Sigourney Weaver, Julia Koch, Bebe Neuwirth, Taye Diggs, Jessica Stam, Thom Browne, Crystal Renn, Olympic soccer player Kelley O’Hara—in case it wasn’t apparent, the ballet is no longer the sole purview of socialites in ball gowns.
Why: The evening’s program included two world premieres: “Piece d’Occasion,” choreographed by ABT principal dancer Marcelo Gomes, who later performed the role of Prospero in Alexei Ratmansky’s highly anticipated “The Tempest.” Prospero and Miranda escaped their magical island, but those who stayed for dinner found themselves a captive audience. Bronson Van Wyck transformed the promenade into a dark and tempestuous playground with an 180-foot mural of the sea, floor-to-ceiling cyclones and audiovisual effects like fog and lightning.Follow Us:
Follow us on Facebook
- BeautyMichelle Obama and Her Hair: Celebrating Eight Years of Bangs, Curls and That Famous Bob Cut
- CultureThe Women of the Women's March: Meet the Activists Who Are Planning One of the Largest Demonstrations in American History
- FashionMelania Trump Wears Baby Blue Ralph Lauren, While Michelle Obama Opts for Red
- FashionAll the Best Street Style Looks Lighting Up Milan, Italy's Fashion Capital
- FashionFrom Melania Trump to Jacqueline Kennedy, a History of First Ladies' Inauguration Day Style