Miu Miu celebrated its new film with a who’s who of pretty young starlets
What: A party celebrating the 7th edition of Miu Miu‘s ongoing Women’s Tales film series, for which it commissions female directors to make short movies. This time the Italian brand enlisted South Korean director So Young Kim.
Where: At the Diamond Horseshoe, the recently reopened dinner-theater club in the basement of the Paramount Hotel. The space’s gold leafed, touch-of-louche glamour was the perfect foil for Kim’s melancholic film “Spark and Light.”
When: February 11th
Who: Riley Keough, the movie’s star, was joined by a squadron of the young and precocious, like Hailee Steinfeld, Sami Gayle, Zosia Mamet, Melonie Diaz, Nicola Peltz, and Anna Kendrick. The Icelandic electronic band mùm, who did an original soundtrack for “Spark and Light,” also performed.
Why: “I’ve never made a short film before,” said Kim, who is known for her acclaimed family dramas Treeless Mountain and In Between Days. “At first, when Miu Miu approached me, I wanted to try a comedy—but I ended up doing what I do.” The result, which has Keough as a young woman trying to get home to her ailing mother, is filled with familial longing, but also shot through with a magical realism inspired by the colorful, childlike patterns of birds, cats, and fish in Miu Miu’s spring 2014 collection. “The feeling I got from the clothes was dreamy and very playful,” says Kim. “It just felt like a fable!”Follow Us:
Follow us on Facebook
- FashionOn the Streets of Milan, It's All Gucci, All the Time
- FashionParis Fashion Week's Best Street Style Is All About Dark Layers and Primary Colors
- PartiesColby Jordan's Marriage to Alberto “Tico” Mugrabi Was the Art World Wedding of the Year
- BeautyA Guide to the Best New Fragrances of Fall
- CultureThe Elgorts in Africa: Exclusive Images From Sophie, Ansel and Arthur's Breathtaking Safari