Creative Time honors artist Kara Walker at their annual spring gala.
For their eighth annual spring gala, Creative Time once again took over the former Domino Sugar Factory on the Williamsburg waterfront. This year, the cavernous hanger felt a bit more intimate, however, thanks to the evening’s enormous centerpiece, a sphinx sculpted out of sugar by the evening’s guest of honor, Kara Walker. A radical departure from her celebrated racially charged silhouettes, the confection is the first large-scale sculpture by the artist, who continued the saccharine theme with life-sized caramel cherubs scattered throughout the space. After a marathon of selfies alongside Walker’s creations, guests—including Cindy Sherman, Tom Sachs, Chuck Close, Jenna Lyons, Jeffrey Deitch, and Solange Knowles—took in the tunes spun by deejay Afrika Bambaataa. A sweet finish to the night, indeed.Follow Us:
Follow us on Facebook
- FashionAdriana Lima Has Walked in a Record 16 Victoria's Secret Fashion Shows, and Is "Still Going Strong"
- FashionSee All the Looks from the 2016 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show
- PeopleMadonna Gave Art Basel the Debauched, Celebrity-Drenched Party Miami's High Rollers Deserved
- CultureInside Hood By Air's Epic Miami Pool Party, Art Basel 2016's Most Transgressive Show
- FashionFor Victoria's Secret Angel Jasmine Tookes, the $3 Million Fantasy Bra Was "A Little Bit Too Comfortable"