Parties » That’s Sweet
Creative Time honors artist Kara Walker at their annual spring gala.
For their eighth annual spring gala, Creative Time once again took over the former Domino Sugar Factory on the Williamsburg waterfront. This year, the cavernous hanger felt a bit more intimate, however, thanks to the evening’s enormous centerpiece, a sphinx sculpted out of sugar by the evening’s guest of honor, Kara Walker. A radical departure from her celebrated racially charged silhouettes, the confection is the first large-scale sculpture by the artist, who continued the saccharine theme with life-sized caramel cherubs scattered throughout the space. After a marathon of selfies alongside Walker’s creations, guests—including Cindy Sherman, Tom Sachs, Chuck Close, Jenna Lyons, Jeffrey Deitch, and Solange Knowles—took in the tunes spun by deejay Afrika Bambaataa. A sweet finish to the night, indeed.Follow Us:
Follow us on Facebook
- PeopleWhen It Girls Simi and Haze Khadra Graduate
- BeautyWonder Woman Actress Lynda Carter Is a Sunscreen Advocate, Jazz Singer, and Hillary Clinton Fan
- Art & DesignStrange Fruit: Is Stephanie Sarley the Betty Tompkins of Instagram?
- BeautyHow to Get in Head-to-Toe Wedding Shape in Just 10 Days. Seriously.
- CelebritiesScreen Tests - Cara Delevingne on "Suicide Squad," Justin Timberlake, and Her Childhood Obsession With Death