Creative Time honors artist Kara Walker at their annual spring gala.
For their eighth annual spring gala, Creative Time once again took over the former Domino Sugar Factory on the Williamsburg waterfront. This year, the cavernous hanger felt a bit more intimate, however, thanks to the evening’s enormous centerpiece, a sphinx sculpted out of sugar by the evening’s guest of honor, Kara Walker. A radical departure from her celebrated racially charged silhouettes, the confection is the first large-scale sculpture by the artist, who continued the saccharine theme with life-sized caramel cherubs scattered throughout the space. After a marathon of selfies alongside Walker’s creations, guests—including Cindy Sherman, Tom Sachs, Chuck Close, Jenna Lyons, Jeffrey Deitch, and Solange Knowles—took in the tunes spun by deejay Afrika Bambaataa. A sweet finish to the night, indeed.Follow Us:
Follow us on Facebook
- FashionOn the Streets of Milan, It's All Gucci, All the Time
- FashionKitten Heels Are the New It Shoe for Fall
- PartiesChanel Celebrates Lily-Rose Depp as the Face of N°5 L’EAU
- FashionLauren Hutton Returns to the Runway Hand in Hand with Gigi Hadid at Bottega Veneta Spring 2017
- FashionLondon Fashion Week's Street Style Stars Have an Eye for Details