People » Jamie Hawkesworth's Backstory
Jamie Hawkesworth's Backstory
The rising photographer has taken a rarely traveled road to success.
Unlike most emerging fashion photographers, who hone their craft assisting established lensmen, Jamie Hawkesworth, 26, got his start shooting crime scenes. Mock ones, mind you, at the University of Central Lancashire, where the young Brit studied forensic science until he realized that his passion lay in documentary photography. Before long, his color-saturated portraits of teens across England and the intriguingly banal environments in which they reside caught the attention of stylists like Joe McKenna and Marie Chaix—and W Senior Fashion Editor Marie-Amélie Sauvé, who for her story in this issue was inspired by his image of a sports car. “She loved the simplicity of it,” explains Hawkesworth, who is currently doing a series on elite English high schools and another on whales. “It’s important for me to keep the documentary side of my work going, so it can inform the fashion side.”Follow Us:
Follow us on Facebook
- BeautyHow to Get in Head-to-Toe Wedding Shape in Just 10 Days. Seriously.
- FashionMeet the French Designer Redefining the Travel Wardrobe
- Art & DesignStrange Fruit: Is Stephanie Sarley the Betty Tompkins of Instagram?
- CelebritiesScreen Tests - Cara Delevingne on "Suicide Squad," Justin Timberlake, and Her Childhood Obsession With Death
- FashionThe Montauk Moment: The Best Swimsuits of Summer Are Revealing In All the Right Ways