Most Americans Have No Idea Which Films Are Nominated for Oscars—But Clinton Voters Have a Better Idea Than Trump Voters

A new poll finds that about 60 percent of Americans can’t name a single Best Picture nominee, but they’ll tune in anyway.

Certainly, there are more important things going on at the moment, but, with the Oscars looming this Sunday, the majority of Americans haven’t bothered to even check out the list of Academy Award nominees yet. According to a new poll conducted for The Hollywood Reporter, just 40 percent of American moviegoers can name a single picture that’s up for the top award. That leaves 60 percent who can’t identify even one nominee.

Interestingly, that won’t stop most people from tuning in. Seven out of ten respondents still say they’ll watch, and the poll found that hearing which name is in the envelope is most Americans’ favorite aspect of the broadcast, despite the fact they don’t even know what’s in the running.

The poll asked 800 moviegoers whether they knew which individual movies were up for Best Picture. Mind you, they weren’t asked to name the movies off the top of their heads; they were prompted with a title and asked whether it was a nominee.

La La Land was the most recognized nominee. Thirty two percent said they knew it was up for the award. Nineteen percent correctly identified Fences, and 17 percent knew Hidden Figures was up for the honor (no word, however, on how many thought Hidden Fences was in the running). Meanwhile, Manchester Bby the Sea was ID’d by 13 percent while Moonlight got 11 percent. The rest of the nominees were recognized by 10 percent or less.

Hell or High Water was the least recognized title, with just 5 percent of moviegoers correctly identifying it as an Oscar nominee. (If you’re not familiar with the film, you can read our ode to its star, Chris Pine).

Interestingly, the poll was split between 400 people who had voted for Donald Trump, and 400 people who voted for Hillary Clinton.

As it turns out, Clinton voters proved much more aware of the nominees. 39 percent of Clinton voters knew La La Land was nominated while 26 percent of Trump voters were aware. For Moonlight, it was 16 percent of Clinton voters and just six percent of Trump voters.

Not only were Clinton voters better at identifying the nominees, they were also more likely to have actually seen them. Well, except in one notable example. Twenty-seven percent of Trump voters had seen Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge, while just 18 percent of Clinton voters had. No surprise there.

Trump voters also notably had a higher distaste for acceptance speeches. Forty two percent said it was their least favorite aspect of the broadcast, compared to just 24 percent of Clinton voters. No word, though, on how much Trump voters enjoyed right-wing commentators’ attempts to smack down anyone who made a political statement in their speech the day after (something tells us it might be a lot).

America’s favorite part of the Oscars, though, is still the moment that precedes those speeches—finding out who won. Which, again, is weird, considering most aren’t familiar with the nominees. Red carpet fashion, meanwhile, was America’s fourth favorite facet of the whole shebang, behind musical numbers and the host. Though, with all apologies to Ryan Seacrest, red carpet commentary and interviews is America’s least favorite part of the night.

Watch Academy Award nominees Emma Stone and Natalie Portman audition for a role in The Goonies: