Maybe it was the rain, maybe it was the lack of a clear sartorial trend, but we were not bowled over by the fashion at the Globes this year. When it comes to beauty looks, however, we’ve got plenty to say. Here are our six favorites, as well as some suggestions for next time.
- Reese Witherspoon: Has she had a year’s worth of beauty sleep? This is a text book “no-makeup” makeup look—it’s all about the clear skin, the piercing eyes, the just-dressy-enough blowout.
- Sofia Vergara: Another celeb that looks lit from within. We’re used to seeing her in heavy makeup on Modern Family—this was the perfect reminder that she doesn’t need much. Sheer, pink cheeks, barely any eye makeup and a dress we can get behind.
- Emily Blunt: Here’s to brown hair that is far from boring. Tousled, rich, chocolate waves were perfectly balanced by soft pastel makeup. All hail the Queen!
- Mo’Nique: The woman of the hour did not disappoint. The golden girl look worked so well here—really classic hair, bronzed makeup, and eyes that sparkled. We’re going to ignore the leg hair situation.
- Jeanne Tripplehorn: One of a few women on the red carpet who didn’t look like she was going to a prom. Jeanne looked chic in the most timeless, sophisticated way. Slightly messy pulled-back hair, slightly smoky eye, and a long-sleeved dress. We know some of you have called it dowdy, but to us it is the epitome of elegance (and harder to pull off than it looks).
- Chloe Sevigny: This was a runway look gone right. Chloe looked like she was ripped from a Valentino ad—in a good way. Maybe it helps that she’s got the confidence and experience to wear something that might’ve looked ridiculous on someone who relies heavily on their stylist. Part of the reason the dress worked was the dramatic yet clean makeup and a hairstyle that never fails on someone so stunning.
Now for the bad news. We are officially over:
1. Side hair dos: They are juvenile and make you look lopsided. Just say no. And sticking a bejeweled clip in doesn’t make it okay.
2. Shiny faces: We know the Marie Antoinette look isn’t in style but a little powder goes a long way on an overly shiny face.
3. Too-tight hair: It’s tricky to get it just right—if hair is pinned up too loosely, you risk looking like you’re showing up for gym class. But frankly, we’re a little worried about styles done so tightly they’re sure to cause migraines. Even if your movie won.