For us, this past summer was all about the “The Divas.” To wit: The En Vogue reunion concert, a road trip to Foxwoods Casino to see Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin at Radio City and now, none other than the triumphant return of Whitney Houston! The singer is so beloved by the W fashion staff she inspired an early-morning field trip to her Good Morning America concert in Central Park. So herewith, Reasons Why We Love Whitney (as if you needed the proof).
- The Comeback Story As we all know, many stars’ attempts have fallen short (cough, Janet Jackson). We all saw Whitney hit rock bottom (“Crack is wack!) and have been since waiting for the big return. In short, I Look to You is the perfect soundtrack for end of summer. We can listen to the entire thing and not even skip songs.
- The Fashion Our Whitney has long inspired fashion. Of course, what Gaultier was to Madonna, Dolce & Gabbana was to Whitney. And who can forget the head dress she wore to her wedding? Now, our diva rocks Herve Leger on the cover of I Look to You. It didn’t take much convincing to get our accessories editor, Shiona Turini, to try on the same dress. Both looking amazing!
3) Oh, Oprah! When she showed up for her back-to-back interviews with the queen of daytime, she went there: Bobby, her daughter, Clive Davis, MJ’s death. Not to mention the fact that she basically taught Oprah how exactly to lace a joint of marijuana with cocaine.
4) She inspires! Whitney is what tributes are made of!
5) That Voice It’s chilling. And although at her Good Morning America concert she sounded perhaps more like Kathleen Turner doing spoken work (not exactly the iconic “Star Spangled Banner” rendition that we all know and love), her performance on Oprah restored our faith.
Let’s be honest, there is a little diva in all of us!