It's been 30 years since Full House premiered and Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen made their debut as the adorable toddler Michelle Tanner, a role they were both cast for at the whopping age of six months old and which they played until the show was cancelled in 1995.
And while it's been just three years, it's also felt like three decades to the rest of the show's former cast and crew since the Olsens, now 31, have spurned them in joining the show's reboot, Fuller House, a spin-off series that premiered on Netflix in 2016 with a significant portion of the original cast—except of course the Olsens, who've apparently been ignoring invites to once again team up with their former coworkers since 2014.
"Personally, I’ve given up asking them," the show's creator, Jeff Franklin, told TVLine just in time for the first half of its third season to drop on Friday. "The door is open, but I’m not going to be calling them anymore to invite them. They just don’t seem interested in coming. It’s been three years of invitations, so they know the door is open. It’s up to them to decide if they want to come play or not."
Maybe the pair resents that they were put to work at just six months of age, or, more likely, they're just simply too busy these days; they do, after all, have a collection of bed-themed fragrances to concoct, paparazzi to hide from, and art shows to star in. And, of course, they also have their day jobs as designers of not only The Row, one of the hottest tickets at New York Fashion Week—last year, even the twins themselves couldn't get a seat at one of their shows and ended up sitting on the floor—but also Elizabeth & James, a womenswear label with a bit more affordable options than the former's offerings like $1,000 tanktops.
John Stamos, who produces and stars in Fuller House, however, has not been so understanding about the twins's now jam-packed schedules, and has doggedly making his case for the Olsens's return for the last three years. (Even though he actually temporarily got them fired from Full House in 1987 when they cried too much for his liking on set.) While originally tweeting that he called "bulls---" on Mary-Kate's telling WWD that "just found out" about the spin-off a few days after Stamos made it public, even though she'd recently run into another of the show's stars, Bob Saget, he made it clear they'd made up by tweeting a couple of days later that he'd had a "sweet talk with M.K." and using the hashtag "family."
Once it really became clear the twins wouldn't be getting involved, Stamos tweeted that he was "heartbroken" but "under[stood] they're in a different place"—not that he and the crew had given up. As a temporary solution, Michelle's absence on Fuller House was explained by the fact that the character, coincidentally, was running a fashion business in New York; meanwhile, off-screen, Stamos decided to make his appeal to a different Olsen, especially since, as he pointed out in another interview, "we only need one!"
"I was going to see Ashley last night and beg her to be on the show," Stamos said in yet another interview when Fuller House was coming up on its second season. "I have a good feeling about it." (So much so that he and the crew felt free to mock the prices of Elizabeth & James and name-check Mary-Kate and Ashley themselves.)
Evidently, that didn't work either, though even after a weekend that saw the premiere of an Olsen-less season three and Franklin's resigned remarks, Stamos still doesn't seem ready to let go of the past. On Monday, he once again took to social media to express his feelings, this time on Instagram. His caption may have asked his followers about their thoughts on season three, but his post was of a 1989 video of Mary-Kate and Ashley, who stare at the camera to cutely say his name—and stick their tongue out at him.
See W’s most popular videos: